The results have been summed up. The judges made the final decisions. And the new Miss Universe - Zosibini Tunzi! The stunning Miss South Africa took the crown in a tough 2019 competition. Here's what you need to know about the pageant queen!
Everyone bows to Queen Zosibini Tunzi! The 26-year-old dancer from Tsolo, South Africa, was crowned Miss Universe 2019 at an incredible performance on December 8th. He literally knocked out the victory from under his nose from Miss Mexico and Miss Puerto Rico. Zosibini is clearly overwhelming, but there is so much more to learn about this wonderful young woman. Here are five quick facts about Miss South Africa - now Miss Universe - that all fans should know:
1. She is a passionate defender and activist for women's rights and equality. Zosibini's campaign as Miss South Africa included a partnership with HeForShe, a UN organization represented by celebrities such as Emma Watson, which encourages men to fight alongside women for gender equality. Zosibini asked South African men to write messages of support for women, which would be printed on the tape. These entries made up her national costume for Miss Universe!
2. She is close to her parents. On the day of Miss Universe 2019, Zosibini posted a love message to her parents, Filiswa Nadapu and Lungis Tunzi, on her Instagram page. She posted a series of photos of her parents backstage with her. She captioned these photos: “You gave me life, you raised me to become the woman I am. So that I can stand in a distant country, proudly knowing where I am rooted and where I come from. You have sacrificed so much and fought in battles that I don't even know about, everything so that we have all the possibilities the universe has to offer. I am very grateful and I hope to make you proud for every day of my life!"
3. She is a public relations specialist. Zosibini earned her BA in Public Relations and Image Management from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology in 2018. She earned her Bachelor of Technology in Public Relations, also in Cape Peninsula, shortly before she won the Miss South Africa title. She completed a postgraduate internship at the Public Relations Department in Cape Town Ogilvy.
4. She competed twice for Miss South Africa. Zosibini was among the 26 best contestants for Miss South Africa 2017, but was excluded. She came back two years later and won!
5. She walked to New York Fashion Week 2019. Three months before Miss Universe, Zosibini went to New York, the first international trip. She walked the runway at NYFW for Maxhosa, a fashion label from South African designer LadumNgxokolo. She opened the show in a spectacular black and white embroidered dress inspired by the Nguni and Mbo ethnic groups. She hit the podium for the choral version of the South African national anthem.